Twiiter

Monday, August 24, 2015

Fried Okra

Fried Okra

I have an odd relationship with okra. The first time I had it I bought it out of the freezer section and while I didn't hate the taste it wasn't a texture I was certain I ever wanted again. It's been years since that happened. But I wanted to make gumbo and okra goes in gumbo so I bought some. Fresh this time. What to do with the leftovers? My son made me taste it raw. Not terrible but not my favorite. I didn't notice it too much in my gumbo. And then I was on the phone with a friend and she suggested deep fried. Everything is better deep fried!

What you need:
Fresh okra sliced in to 1/2 inch slices
buttermilk
breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
any other seasonings you might want

Place the sliced okra in buttermilk to moisten. Roll in breadcrumbs mixed with salt, pepper and seasonings until coated. Place in a deep fryer or a pan with about 2 inches of oil in it heated to 350 degrees. watch them closely because they don't take long at all. About 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve with ranch as a dipping sauce.

My fear of okra is over! I will try it again maybe a different way this time. But now I know deep fried is a big thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment